Here’s Where You Can Buy Bitcoin in 2018
You can’t go far these days online without running into the buzz about bitcoin. In fact, Google recently released its top searches for 2017, and guess what was on everyone’s minds this past year?
The #5 search under “News” was “bitcoin price.”
The #2 search under the “What Is …” category was, “what is bitcoin?”
The #5 search in the “How To” category was of course, “how to buy bitcoin.”
If you’ve found your way here to this page, I’m guessing you may have looked up “how to buy bitcoin” yourself.
I’m going to tell you exactly where and how you can get bitcoin in your location in this article, but first, let’s talk a little more about why bitcoin (BTC) is such a big deal right now.
A Brief History of Bitcoin
Bitcoin was the very first cryptocurrency. Cryptocurrencies are virtual alternatives to “fiat currencies”—the traditional paper currencies printed by governments around the world.
The history of bitcoin dates back to 2008, when bitcoin.org was first registered. That same year, a paper called, “Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System” was published by a person or organization called Satoshi Nakamoto. That same unknown entity created the bitcoin network in January of 2009.
In its early days, bitcoin took a while to pick up traction. Indeed, the worth of 1 BTC was practically immeasurable from January 2009 through March 2010.
By May 2010, you could buy 1 BTC for around a penny. Indeed, that month, a fellow named Laszlo Hanyecz made cryptocurrency history by using 10,000 BTC to purchase a couple of pizzas in Florida. That was the first ever real-world bitcoin transaction.
Over the subsequent years, the value of bitcoin soared. By January 2017, 1 BTC was ranging between $800-$1,150 in value.
This year has seen further extraordinary growth. At one point in December, the value of 1 BTC reached an astounding $17,900.
Mind-blowing, isn’t it? A unit of virtual currency which you could have purchased for a penny back in 2010 was worth $17,900 on December 15, 2017.
You’re doing the math now, right? You’re thinking, “Wow, if I had just spent a dollar on bitcoin back in 2010, this December I’d have had more than a million dollars!”
That is exactly why bitcoin is so exciting, and why everyone wants a piece of the pie right now.
What Can We Expect in the Future?
I’m not going to beat around the bush here. Bitcoin is very volatile. Its price is rising and falling rapidly every single day. That means you could make or lose a lot of money investing in it.
Because it is so speculative, I recommend that you invest only money you can afford to lose. This is a high-risk investment at this point, and it is impossible to say what tomorrow will bring, much less next year.
I think we can say that what goes up will eventually come down, and bitcoin probably is in a bubble right now.
That means if you do want to profit off of it, you may want to hurry up and get in there while there’s still time.
Where You Can Buy Bitcoin Right Now
If you want to buy bitcoin, your options vary depending on where you live. Different wallets and exchanges serve customers in different countries.
Following is a quick list of sites which we recommend for users in various locations where bitcoin is becoming popular.
You can scroll past the list for short reviews of each of these sites.
If you live in the United Kingdom, you can try any of the following sites to purchase bitcoin:
Here are some sites where you can purchase bitcoin quickly and easily from the USA.
Living in India and want to buy bitcoin? Here are your best options.
These sites allow you to purchase bitcoin in Canada.
Aussies can use any of the following websites to buy bitcoin.
Easiest Ways to Buy Bitcoin in 2018: Reviews
This exchange is based in London, and currently has more than a million users. Here you can use your credit card to buy bitcoin. CEX.IO also functions as a cryptocurrency exchange platform.
- There is a huge active user base and the site has a solid reputation.
- Ease-of-use is a definite plus here.
- You can buy cryptocurrencies effortlessly using your credit or debit card.
- Trading commissions on the exchange side of the platform are low.
- You can sell bitcoin here as well.
- There is no telephone number to contact customer service.
Coinbase is arguably the biggest name in the bitcoin world right now. There are currently over 7 million users on the site located in 32 different countries. You can use Coinbase as your wallet, and you can also use it to quickly and easily buy or sell cryptocurrencies. If you want to trade, you can visit the company’s exchange platform, GDAX.
- It’s hard to beat the stellar reputation of Coinbase.
- Coinbase is an all-in-one solution. You can buy, sell and store bitcoin here.
- 98% of customer funds are kept in cold storage.
- Network fees are higher here than they are with some other services.
This is another site which makes it a breeze to buy bitcoin using a credit card. The site was founded in 2013 and is based in Prague. A variety of fiat currencies are accepted, and the site automatically checks rates at Bittrex, Poloniex, and other platforms. That way you are always getting the best rates available.
- Changelly offers you the best rates at any given time.
- Ease-of-use and a polished layout add to the functionality of the site, making it the simple solution you’ve been searching for.
- Numerous currencies are accepted for exchange.
- There is no live support available. You can only contact the site using social media or email.
This London-based bitcoin site allows you to buy, sell, and exchange cryptocurrencies. This service is newer than some of the others featured here, but reviews point toward it being a strong site, and the layout makes it ridiculously easy to use.
- Amazing site design makes Indacoin easy to use.
- As an all-in-one site, this is your one-stop-shop for buying, selling and exchanging cryptocurrencies.
- There is no live customer support.
If you are looking for flexibility, it is hard to beat LocalBitcoins. LocalBitcoins
has been serving customers in 248 countries since 2012. With more than a million users actively trading, it is easy to find bitcoin for sale near you.
Indeed, if you want, you can actually use LocalBitcoins to locate users who are willing to let you pay them in cash using mail or deposit. You can even hand them the cash in person if you want. LocalBitcoins also supports numerous other payment methods.
- Choose a payment method of your choice (cash, cashier’s check, e-wallet, gift card code, etc.).
- View and offer feedback for sellers and buyers.
- Find local deals.
- Accept only terms of payment and exchange that you are comfortable with.
- There is still some risk in buying bitcoin at LocalBitcoins since you are dealing directly with another user. Much of this is mitigated through the review system however.
Zebpay was the first bitcoin exchange in India, originally founded in 2012 as Buysellbitco.in. Since re-branding in 2014, it has become more and more popular, and now has more than 250,000 users.
- Zebpay offers a mobile bitcoin wallet app which you can use to transfer bitcoin using nothing more than a mobile number. This is great for beginners.
- Use Zebpay to buy, sell and store your bitcoin.
- Prices are updated constantly in real-time.
- The support team may sometimes be a little slow to respond.
Unocoin is another popular bitcoin site offering services to customers in India. It has been in operation since 2013, and reportedly has more than 150,000 members.
- You can get started with a minimal deposit, and KYC verification is known to be super fast.
- All transactions go through two steps of authorization, ensuring ironclad security.
- Outgoing transfers to bank accounts are reputed to be quite fast.
- If you are looking to stay anonymous, Unocoin is not the best platform for you. The requirements to verify your identity are quite comprehensive.
Koinex.in is not as well-known as Unocoin or Zebpay, but is quickly becoming a popular choice for bitcoin traders in India. The platform also supports Ethereum, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash and Ripple.
- The fees on this platform are reported to be lower than they are on some of the other exchanges.
- Here you can trade in other cryptocurrencies, not just bitcoin. There are plans to add more in the near future.
- The platform is very easy to use.
- Customer service can be lacking at times.
- Sometimes trading is abruptly halted by the exchange without prior notice.
So now you have a few options for sites you can join to buy and trade bitcoin, regardless of the country where you are located.
Conclusion: Buying Bitcoin Is Easier Than You Think, No Matter Where You Are Located
When you are new to the world of bitcoin, buying your first BTC can feel pretty daunting—but it really is much easier than it appears at first glance. Join any of the sites above and you can quickly use your native currency to purchase your first bitcoin!